Friday, February 06, 2015

There are side effects to vaccines.

...On rare occasions, (click here) GBS can develop after a person receives a flu shot or another vaccination such as Gardasil, Tdap, Hepatitis A or Hepatitis B.

Guillain-Barré Syndrome Treatment

Plasma exchange removes the blood from the body and processes it to separate red and white blood cells from the liquid portion of the blood and then return them to the patient’s body. Immunoglobulin therapy involves protein injections that the immune system uses to attack invading organisms. High doses of immunoglobulins to GBS patients can lessen the immune attack on the nervous system....

I guess I have known a lot of people and long about now my personal knowledge of some truths may appear false; it is not. 

A friend worked as a pharmacist. He encouraged everyone to be vaccinated with the flu vaccine. I always held my prejudice about receiving vaccines on a regular basis, so I rarely took the flu vaccine and the same holds true today. I am probably only lucky or think in ways that removes hazard from my environment, but, I am successful in minimizing illness in my many decades of life.

My friend was in the middle of the flu season when he began to feel ill. He would succumb to Guillain-Barre Syndrome. He was ventilator dependent for nearly three months and the syndrome finally began to wane. Ultimately he would resume much of his independent movement from being completely paralyzed. He was married about three years when the paralysis hit. His wife is a pharmacist as well. The couple had a child. He would recover enough in rehab to go home to take care of their child while his wife supported the family.

My friends stated the paralysis was directly caused by a flu vaccine. No one else within the employer's generosity of supplying free flu shots that season succumbed to any such syndrome. It is just one of those instances when the perfect storm hits a person when it never had before. 

No one knows why he became ill. We all were relieved in his recovery. The odds of having any side effects from any vaccine is minor, but, it does happen. I think there is a perfect storm of genetics and vaccine resulting in problems. In examining the number of people that do well and are protected from disease, vaccines are more valuable than any side effect occurs. It is that reality professionals in public health embraces and they are correct to do it.