Sunday, December 01, 2013

But, what about vacations? No?

Oh, yes.

Earned 1 day per month. As an employee there were 12 vacation days. Vacation days were five per week recognizing weekends were off. Vacation days had to be taken every year. HAD TO BE. It was felt by the union all employees needed down time, recognizing how dedicated a professional can be to their good paying job and profession. 

So, it got interesting long about November when there were people that hadn't taken any vacation time yet. Sometimes it required bringing staffing in to fill the work schedule. But, it was fun. Twelve days starting with the first year of employment, when weekends are added is nearly 2 and 1/2 weeks. Nice. I rarely took it all at one time, but, some in the Spring and then sometime in September or October.

I usually worked through the summer. I was a shop steward and felt an obligation to others to receive the time off for family vacations together. I liked autumn. Still do. But, the boys and I always got off season rates no matter where we went and we had a good time even if I had to help them with their take along homework everyday, except, weekends.