Monday, April 22, 2019

Is there still misogyny at work after the defeat of Hillary Clinton?

The media is not covering women candidates the same as men. That is an issue that should not be ignored. I thought perhaps with debates that would change, but, I don't think it will.

Was the misogyny against Hillary Clinton ever documented in studies? It should have been by now. There are articles like this appearing in popular journals, but, this is more or less a self-help article, which I find useless. It is written in Ireland and not the USA, but, the idea girls are oppressed by external culture is already realized here.

I want women to stop blaming themselves and their culture and reach into documented proof of misogyny. I want to see journal articles and psychiatrists naming the syndrome. We know it exists and the disparity in the media is proof. It is time to name the REASON, with real facts, figures and analysis. Time's up, it is time to move forward with a real measure of the misogyny women face.

August 20, 2019
By Sarah Carey

My friend the psychoanalyst gave me great advice once: (click here) "Name It". Dr Ciara Kelly - in a fine piece in the Irish Independent last Monday - extracted some shrapnel from this BBC/Kevin Myers incendiary device. Struggling to answer Myers' question - why is there only one female chess grandmaster? - she Named It: Expectations.

That's when I remembered when we girls from the Convent were sent down to the Christian Brothers to try Honours Maths. On the first day, the teacher declared that he expected only half a dozen of the class to sit the paper in the Leaving Certificate. He looked at me meaningfully and I knew straight away I'd never make it. And ever since I've deferred to men I thought were smarter than me because they did Honours Maths.

So with expectations of Us and Them set hard in my psyche, I cheerfully laughed off the drunken groping because hey, they're only lads, and isn't a sense of humour the trick to getting through life and sure, some things you just have to put up with? And then you watch, in broad daylight, as the King of The Office actually grabs an intern, right in front of you, and you don't even know what you're looking at any more. Was that a friendly embrace or an assault? And it was the wonderful Barbara Scully who Named It for me: "But imagine if a woman did that? It simply wouldn't happen. We put up with this stuff and that's how they get away with it."

Or the years I spent arguing against gender quotas because I didn't want men to hate us any more than they already did, and sure, if you were good enough, there wasn't really anything stopping you getting that nomination to the ticket or the board....