Saturday, February 20, 2016

Who ever thought Parmesan cheese would ever be an enemy?

I hadn't seen the television segment that pointed to the fact parmesan cheese on our dinner table is not really parmesan cheese. I heard it while waiting for my tires to be changed at a local garage. People were talking about it and were concerned there was not a strategy to avoid the plague.  

I looked around a bit and it is sincere is a problem. Consumers have no LABEL stating exactly what was in their cheese. I also found a producer of powdered cellulose 

"Ridgeland" powdered cellulose (click here) carries a few mixes of such cellulose.

Powdered Cellulose (click here)

If one examines closely the ingredients in the powdered cellulose there is a variety that actually uses potato starch. Potato starch is the same type of product as ordinary starch that are used in gravies as a thickening agent. Potato starch is sold in health food coops. I have a bag in my kitchen.

But, in reading the information about powdered cellulose, which comes from trees, I was very surprised to realize there is an antibiotic incorporated in the mix. Antibiotics, the type doctors administer by prescription, are not available in organic food stores. At least not the markets I have shopped in.

Natamycin (click here) is the culprit. It is a mold inhibitor. I never bargained for that as a consumer.

I am looking long and hard now at what type of product I purchase because my understanding is the parmesan cheese mixed with powdered cellulose also comes in solid pieces found at the cheese counter.

I am anticipating the purchase of a more expensive product that is 100% parmesan I grate myself. If the grated cheese is to clumpy then I'll add small amounts of potato starch powder to achieve the same result as the store bought laced with anti-mold antibiotic.

Custom Formulations (click here)

  • Anti-Mycotic Blends
  • Natamycin, Potassium Sorbate, & Oxygen Scavenger
  • Low Dust
  • Put your anti-caking agent in the cheese & not in the air
  • Starch Blends
  • Potato, Corn, Tapioca & Rice
  • Mineral Blends
  • Calcium Sulfate & Calcium Carbonate