Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Late Justice Scalia?

I had to search my heart about his death. He is one of nine people that touch Americans lives, including mine. I think I have a right to express my thoughts about him.

As far as an autopsy I accept the family's decision to forego an autopsy. They love him and know him and have direct contact with his doctors on a regular basis and I accept their decision.

As far as the actions in Texas, it is my first time hearing about the legal structure in West Texas and it concerns me. I think Texas plays fast and loose with unexpected death.

We all know about the right to die and there is usually an extensive medical record leading up to those decisions in the USA. We expect the news that a loved one has passed because of a long standing medical condition. It hurts just as much, but, it is expected. This is different.

Setting aside this was Justice Scalia. I am very surprised there are such loose standards for unexpected deaths. I don't feel comfortable with it. I think it allows to many questions and this is a death, not an injury or a hunting accident; this is a death.

So, in the case of Justice Scalia, whom I believe has been a very colorful character from the bench, I defer completely to the family. But, I also think his death raises important questions. 

I wish his family complete peace with his passing. He is a great man and there should be undeniable respect for him in the history of the USA.