Tuesday, July 14, 2015

I can't speak for him, but, I can know how I understand him. 

His emotional distance from the attacks of September 11, 2015 requires some degree of empathy. If one doesn't experience empathy how can one return the emotion.

We are not fully mature in emotional competency simply because we exist. Emotional competency comes with a full experience of life and how love is given and received.  

July 14, 2015
By Syreeta McFadden

I first read (click here) James Baldwin’s The Fire Next Time 20 years ago, and it saved me. At the time I was living in Morningside Heights, a neighborhood to the south-west of Harlem. The months before I picked up that book had built in me a kind of dread I couldn’t name, spurred on by a constellation of events that were all designed to remind me of “my place”. I had just finished a year at Columbia University as one of just a very few black students there....