Thursday, June 12, 2014

Is Rick Perry right? Is homosexuality only an addiction?

Gov. Rick Perry gives a speech during the Texas GOP Convention in Fort Worth, Texas on Thursday, June, 5, 2014. / Rex C. Curry/Associated Press

Texas Gov. Rick Perry likened homosexuality with alcoholism, suggesting that an individual can “decide not to do that.”

I am sure every gay in the USA was a virgin at one time or another. But, forever? 

The San Francisco Chronicle reports the comment from Perry, made during a speaking engagement Wednesday night, came in response to a question on whether he believes homosexuality is a disorder.

“Whether or not you feel compelled to follow a particular lifestyle or not, you have the ability to decide not to do that,” Perry is quoted as saying. “I may have the genetic coding that I’m inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that, and I look at the homosexual issue that way.”...