Monday, July 29, 2013

GMOs are not emotional issues. This is not 'icky' rejection. Hybrids are not genetically turned off and on.

Rejection of GMO technology puts the science under a microscope. This is sound, not emotional. 

Do not treat me like an idiot woman out of control with her Mother Earth demands. There is a problem with GENETIC ENGINEERING. Hybrids are not genetically engineered. Statement of same is a lie. This bullshit never stops. Propaganda. This is nothing more than Wall Street looking for patents based in genes again. 

GMOs are UNKNOWN in their capacity to cause cancer. Will that get your attention? Metabolism is ORDERLY, it is laid down by nature. There is little to no plasticity to metabolism. They tried it with cattle and we got Mad Cow Disease.

It is COMPLETELY imprudent, dangerous and disasterous to realize an entire generation could be consuming that in 20 years will either kill them or make them sterile. I don't want to hear it. Prove to me there is absolutely NO SIDE EFFECTS to turn genes off and on. Prove that, then MAYBE I'll believe half of what I hear.

The bad news is that Earth is not pliable to the point of patentable. Human metabolism is set UNLESS of course one is going to genetically modify that to fit the Wall Street directive. GMOs are bad science to accommodate past abuses by capitalism.  I don't know of any genetically modified foods that have passed the NO HARM test. None. 

I will not compromise my metabolic stability to accommodate human abuses of my environment. I won't do it. 

Physicians can claim eating is necessary for survival, therefore, eat and this is what is available. No. That is surrendering best practices for Third World values. I won't do it. 

I’m a vegetarian yoga instructor, and even I can tell the case against genetically modified food is overblown. (click here)

July 25, 2013

Let me get a few things out of the way.

I'm a crazy hippie. I go to Burning Man every year. I teach yoga. I live in a co-op. For the past two years, I've been delivering organic vegetables for a local delivery service. I've been eating vegetarian for years, and vegan for the past four months.

I'm also fascinated by genetics. I read every book that comes my way on evolutionary theory, population genetics, and mapping the genome. I took several classes on the subject at the University of Pennsylvania. All told, I have a pretty solid understanding of how genes work.

And ultimately, I'm just not that scared of GMOs....