Monday, February 25, 2013

I can't believe this film was overlooked. It is unfortunate. It is an important film.

'Beasts of the Southern Wild' producers Dan Janvey, left, Josh Penn and Michael Gottwald pose for a photo on the red carpet at the 85th annual Academy Awards on Sunday night (Feb. 24). (Photo by AP)


...Oh, there were hints of disappointment (click here) from the "Beasts" gang after the ceremony -- shrugs of acceptance, sighs of acknowledgment and such. After all, everybody wants to win an Oscar if given the chance, no matter how much of an honor it is to be nominated.
But there was no hanging of heads or wringing of hands on Sunday. These are New Orleans-based filmmakers, after all -- and the creators of a strikingly local film about cultural survival, dogged determination and tooth-and-nail scrappiness. These guys, they won't bow, don't know how....

I was pleased the documentary went to "Searching for Mr. Sugarman." I saw the film and met the Rodriquez. I am fairly sure he still lives in Detroit. It is an amazing story. 

...In 1997, Stephen "Sugar" Segerman set up a website, (click here) called 'The Great Rodriguez Hunt', with the intention of finding any information about the mysterious US musician of 'Cold Fact' fame. In the same year Brian Currin established 'Climb Up On My Music', a tribute site to the life and works of Rodriguez....


I sometimes wonder why artists never give up, but, the fact of the matter is they are artists. They are artists to the bone. Their art is their craft and in many instances, as with Rodriquez, it is their life.

I go to see documentaries whenever I get a chance. That and classic films. More times than I can count, the artists involved in their craft are dedicated to their lives no matter what twist and turns they take. This film is a stark reality for any artist believing their craft is under appreciated. There is always a nitch somewhere in this world appreciating what they do. 

I've heard Rodriquez entertain. He is quite good. Definitely under appreciated. A really nice man. I think he has two daughters. Very decent people. The fact he was not at the Academy Awards by choice begins to define his humility in the appreciation of his craft. 

..."(The) 8mm (app) has been used (click here) by a lot of indie musicians in their music videos but (now it has) been used in a feature film – an Oscar-winning film," Mr Chi said. "That's a surprising and thrilling experience for us...."

Sorry, but, I don't believe Argo was a Best Picture film. I saw the film, it deserved the editing award, but, not Best Picture.

Oh, the Classic Movies thing? It tells me a great deal about culture. I enjoy the films and the plots, but, it is about culture for me.