Wednesday, April 01, 2009

High Rate of Rehospitalizations Costing Billions

Salary Survey Report for Job: Nurse Case Manager (click here)

When a salary is this good, there is no limit on 'keeping the job.' The actual 'EVIL DOERS' are the CEOs that have faux perspective on what actually defines 'effective Case Management.' But, the 'warriors' themselves will do anything for their jobs and keeping 'Managers/Management' happy with their 'bottom line.' So much for compassionate care. Kick 'em to the curb !!!!


The current health care system is ineffective. Hospitals are still trying to 'make money' by finding a way to make stays shorter.

CASE MANAGERS over step the 'rights and privacy priviledges' of patients in order to please superiors and find early discharge dates.

I have witnessed Case Managers scouring patient records for ANY phone number or connection or word that would indicate the patient has NOT had a hospitalized event, but, the 'current health assessment' going forward IS their baseline. It is elder and patient abuse. It is amazing !

Example: "Hi are you Dora Darling, Mrs. Patient's great, great granddaughter once removed?"

"No? Then who are you, because, your phone number is listed in a patient history from five years ago?"

"Oh, who me? You want to know who I am? Well, I am Mrs. Patient's Case Manager and I am required (NOT BY LAW, BUT, BUY MANAGEMENT) to speak with family to ascertain the prior state of her mentality and physical well being."

"Oh, so you are her grand niece. My mistake. Can I ask you if you are aware of the current health of Mrs. Patient?"

"You are? How wonderful. So, Mrs. Patient is here in the hospital and we are attempting to determine if she truly needs to be and would like your insight."

"Her Health Care Power of Attorney? Oh, I see. You aren't her Health Care Power of Attorney. Well, thats okay because I am not asking you for permission for any procedure I am asking about a 'knowledge base' we may not have and I need your information."

"You know Mrs. Patient well? Okay. You know her Health Care Power of Attorney well. Okay. But, you didn't state the level of wellness she was WITNESSED to have before being SENT to the hospital this time."

"You were the one that sent her to the hospital because her Health Care Power of Attorney is out of town. Okay. And...you took Mrs. Patient to the doctor's yesterday because she was exhibiting a level of confusion. But, was this confusion permanent or don't you know? I mean what made YOU think you had to send Mrs. Patient to the hospital, plans to go out of town maybe?"

"Oh, I see, her physican stated her urinalysis was positive for bacteria. Okay. He was concerned it was resistant since she has been in the hospital recently, so you did what you were told and sent her by ambulance because your car didn't have enough gas. Okay. But, I still want to know if her confusion was permanent or not, can you tell me that?"

"Oh, sorry...I wasn't trying to insult you or Mrs. Patient, but, I was simply trying to determine her mental status AS YOU SEE IT before she was sent to the hospital. That's all. I wasn't trying to provoke anger or regret, Mame. Could you just answer the question? Oh...my boss? I am my boss, I am the Case Manager and need simple information. That's all. Oh...hello? Hello? Oh, well, what was that other number I found in the chart?"