Sunday, October 21, 2012

This was a shallow quake. That is NOT a fault moving.

October 21, 2012 |  1:21 am
A shallow magnitude 3.7 earthquake (click here) was reported Sunday morning 12 miles from New Idria, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The temblor occurred at 12:37 a.m. Pacific time at a depth of 5.6 miles.
According to the USGS, the epicenter was 16 miles from San Lucas, 17 miles from King City and 91 miles from San Jose City Hall.
In the past 10 days, there have been three earthquakes magnitude 3.0 and greater centered nearby.
Read more about California earthquakes on L.A. Now.
— Ken Schwencke

M 5.3 - 26km ENE of King City, California (click here)2012-10-21 06:55:09 UTC
  • Long Neck - Just felt a second tremor today. The whole house shook. I lived San Diego, and it's definitely nothing like what I'm used to, but this is weird. I grew up in Delaware and don't remember anything like this!
  • Seaville, NJ - Heard a rumble and felt light shaking in house with rattling of doors and windows.
  • Merced, ca - Sitting in living room at 11:49 pm. Large window started rattling and then I felt a stronger shaking and moving.
  • Tulare, CA - outside watching foxnews on my laptop and for a second I thought somebody was messing with my chair, yet i'm out back alone. My room mates came running out back and asked me, confirming what I had thought.
  • Seaside, California - Felt a quick jolt followed by a second jolt 8 seconds later
  • Visalia, CA - 11:58 pm October 20 felt floor shaking. Windows, ceiling and walls were moving and you could hear the movement. Only lasted about 5 seconds
  • San Luis Obispo - short perod of time
  • Fresno, CA - sitting at computer, and felt brief movement
  • Fresno, Californing - happened on Saturday, 10-20-2012 at 11:59 PM. I'm at my computer and the monitor started shaking then the desk and chair...trying to figure our if it's from up north or from down south. Georgette Bersani
  • Fresno - Felt my bed rocking and then windows cracking.
  • Sanger, CA - Felt the floor shake at about 11:55 pm.
  • UNITED STATES - long
  • Pismo beach, ca - Laying bed and whole bed was shaking!!!
  • Fresno, Ca - I was sitting on my couch felt like something was pushing on my back from behind. The water in my fish tank was going crazy.
  • Santa Maria, CA - Couple of light shakes and the lamp was swinging
  • UNITED STATES - rumbled, rolled, rocked rolled away.
  • los banos,ca - layin here on computer felt some shaking
  • Arroyo Grande, California - Windows rattled and hanging items swung but nothing fell.
  • Hanford - Bed shook a little but could definitely tell it was a quake.
  • Santa Cruz - At around midnight, felt a long rolling earthquake.
  • UNITED STATES - house swayed a bit and lamp shook on the night stand.
  • Lemoore - Around 1200AM, sitting in my ottoman playing ps3, then flatscreen shaking, and felt it too.
  • coalinga ca - was looking stuff up on laptop....then I felt my chair vibrating looked up and window coverings were shaking too
  • San Jose - sitting in bed, light rolling, walls creaked
  • Madera - Laying in bed reading, bed started to move and jewelry hanging in my room was swaying, freaked me out, got a little queasy but not sure from motion or scared someone was in my house! Never felt earthquake before
  • Arroyo Grande, California - shook the chair I was in and made the fireplace tools sway on their holder..floor lamp was swaying.
  • Fresno, CA - Felt the quake for about 10 seconds. Shook the bed and some of the things suspended on the wall, but not too bad
  • Clovis CA - Watching TV..two big jerking quick movements
  • Nipomo - watching TV...couch shook a little, saw curtains swaying. About 11:55pm
  • Atascadero, CA - Lasted about 10 seconds - house shook, chair rocked
  • FRESNO, CA - Was sitting in front of my computer and I felt my computer chair moving just slightly for a few seconds, and I asked my husband who's lying on the bed, he said he felt it too.
  • santa margarita, ca - In bed and awoke to mild shaking a few minutes ago...no damage but chimes were still swinging with no wind...we are approximately 100 miles from Monterey
  • Visalia CA - Rolled over in bed and it kept shaking in the opposite direction
  • Grover Beach, Ca - I was getting ready to turn in for the night, and the bed started shaking, windows rattling, stood up to get into doorway and the floor was rolling slightly. Heavy light fixture above dining room table swinging. Nerves on edge. lasted maybe 25 seconds
  • Fresno, Tower - Watching t.v. felt my chair move, heard dishes rattle, lamp swayed. I'm upstairs old two story Spanish style duplex.
  • Madera, CA - watching tv in bed. felt bed move and saw the water in the bottle on nightstand shake.
  • vandenberg afb - sittin on couch felt like i was swayin the a medal of mine started tapping on glass
  • Hanford, CA - I thought my husband was shaking the whole bed with his foot again! 11:55pm
  • UNITED STATES - at 11:56 pm, the house swayed quite strong
  • Hanford, CA - I was checking out youtube vids when I felt the shaking and chandelier on top of me was left swaying after the quake.
  • 95033 (Loma Preta area of Santa Cruz Mou - Very weak rolling, as if epicenter was not nearby. It felt like the floor was gently sliding around/side to side for about 3-4 seconds. Felt like it might be a much stronger quake occurring many miles away on the same fault line (San Andreas Fault), and we were feeling just the distant edges of the shock wave.
  • santa cruz - house shook for about 10 seconds. was not a slow roll like earthquakes can sometimes be.
  • dinuba - felt window shakin at 11 57 oct 20th
  • paso robles - was sleeping on couch and the couch started moving and it woke me up
  • lemoore, CA - I'm on my computer and coincidentally when my father just shut the door, everything start to wobble a bit, and later I begin to notice that we're having an earthquake. From the felt of it, I start to notice it's a bit stronger and closer compare to 5 months ago.
  • (northeast) Fresno, CA - It felt as though some sort of giant grabbed the house and shook it back and forth a few times.
  • Hwy 68 Salinas/Monterey - I felt shaking jumped out of bed the dogs were barking. Lasted for about 10 seconds
  • Marina CA - Lying in bed....rolling sensation and window shaking and sounded like some slight wall cracking
  • Monterey, CA - I was sitting in a hotel room and felt growing shakes for about 10 secs just before midnight. I could see TV shaking as well. I immediately thought it was an earthquake even though I have never felt anything like this before....