Sunday, April 19, 2015

In respect of my dear Uncle Jack.

I just received word that my uncle passed on. This is going to be a rough one for the family. My Uncle Jack was a really nice man. He served in the Korean Conflict. He was the shortest of his sibling brothers and after he returned home he could not find work so he became an amateur boxer. He did okay, too. But, then he met my Aunt Ruth and the rest is history. Eventually he would go to work for Ford Motor Company. He was there for decades until he retired. 

My grandmother used to tell a story about my Uncle Jack. She prayed the rosary without fail everyday of her life. Jack was in the service. Of all things he was on reconnaissance. My grandmother never knew until she told him the story when he was finally home. 

She said one day this feeling came over her and she thought my Uncle Jack had been killed. She said she didn't know why, but, it was a feeling of dread. She sat down and prayed the rosary and a few other prayers to over come the feelings. Later, Jack was home and was living with his parents at first. One morning she was preparing breakfast and she asked him if he ever had close calls while in the service. He stated, yes. He then told about a time when he was in a jeep on reconnaissance when some shelling began. It was enemy fire. The jeep was hit and the other three men with him died. He was taken to a hospital and recovered. It was his injuries that brought him home.

My grandmother sat down at the table pale and weak. He said he wanted to know what was wrong. She told him about the terrible dread she felt about a month or so ago. He stated that was about the time of the incident in Korea. My grandmother cried and told him God brought him back to her. She had five sons. Two had served in the military. They both came home from their time in the service. 

So, in remembrance of my Uncle Jack and his loving Mother, I can say I know where he is long about now and I feel no dread.

I have a few things I want to put out on the net tonight, so I'll be a minute more.