Sunday, November 02, 2014

When my sons were home and growing up we were best friends.

We breathed the same spiritual air. We loved the life we lived. We loved the values we head dear. We loved the happiness we found with each other. We were soul mates long before they found their soul mate for the rest of their lives in young women that fascinated them. 

I know the love these mothers have for their sons. What I never realized was that when a young black man dies due to gun violence the community unites to tell the tale and remind each other it will happen again. It will happen again. "This could be your son..."

When Michael Dunn (click here) was on trial for killing a 17-year-old in Jacksonville, most didn’t know much more about the victim other than that he was shot over a dispute over “loud music.” But before Jordan Davis became another symbol of Florida’s deeply divisive “stand your ground” policy, he was just a kid. This is his story, told by the friends and family who knew him best....

...Jordan’s mom, Lucy McBath, piled the kids from Jordan’s homeschool co-op group into her SUV and drove them to rink. She liked to skate too. “It would be funny because I would deliberately be passing him and be like, ‘Hey, Jordan,’” Lucy said during a recent interview with BuzzFeed. “I would be needling him as I was skating past: Jordan, I love you!”
“Mom, you’re embarrassing me!” Jordan would respond....