Sunday, September 23, 2018

I was outdoors when this hit. I immediately ran for the Jeep.

While I was safe, the damage this weather system caused brought repair crews of all kinds out to the area for days. There was no driving. The rain was dense and the wind unpredictable. Near where I was parked an electrical transformer was thrown to the ground. There was blue light and sparks everywhere. No fire started, but, no crew could respond immediately. It took about an hour to have the electricity to the transformer turned off. I went back to see what was done with it and the repair crews had three trucks on it to reassemble the electric infrastructure. 

The rain sounded like a river. If anyone knows how well insulated Jeeps are, it is easy to understand the intensity of this storm. I could hear the rain falling around me and on the roof of the Jeep and it sounded like a river was flowing past me. I was in higher elevation than the surrounding area so I knew the water would not accumulate, but, I have to question if the torrent of rain could actually build up enough to cause flooding that would dissipate rather quickly. I was concerned about many things as this storm transpired. I was grateful when the severe front passed by (It was discernible on radar. Yes, I could still receive NOAA radar on their app. Amazing), but, there was still rain. If I was on lower ground it would have flooded.

I do not recommend being out and about in these storms. They are too unpredictable.

August 28, 2018
By Mark Torregrossa 


A line of severe (click here) thunderstorms is expected to develop in Wisconsin this afternoon and move across Lower Michigan this evening and tonight. You may have heard this type of severe weather called "straight-line" winds. In the case of tonight, the severe weather could be an altered form of straight-line winds we meteorologists call a QLCS, or Quasi-Linear Convective System. It might be a new term for you.
The difference is a QLCS can often form brief tornadoes along the line of storms. Typically a straight-line wind event won't have any tornadoes....
...These isolated brief tornadoes that form in a QLCS are not photogenic. In fact, they aren't visible. You won't be able to stand out on your porch and watch a tornado. First off, if they happen tonight, it will be 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. and dark. But the tornadoes are also rain-wrapped. What you experience is a two-phase severe weather event. You would be hit by a strong gust of wind as the thunderstorm starts. Then the rain really picks up and the wind intensifies. Finally the wind driven rain is blowing horizontal and coming from various directions. It's a short lasting event, only a minute or two....