Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Are we sure we think for ourselves?

The social network has crossed the line and needs to back off, writes Rebecca Lloyd. 

Dear Facebook, (click here)
The past year or so has seen our relationship change. I'm not sure I was ever as committed to it as you are but I could see the potential and I didn't want to let my family and friends down so I persevered. Mostly, I thought, it was working out all right.

But you can't ever leave a fairly good thing be, can you Facebook?

First you began deciding for me what I would and would not want to read from my friends and the pages I had chosen to follow.

It was bossy and patronising, but you did kind of have a point – there is way too much information pouring through this platform and it was much easier for you to just shut down a chunk of it than to offer something I might actually want, like proper curatorial tools or the capacity to use italics.

Oh dear, though, it didn't stop there....