Sunday, December 21, 2014

Every culture has a dark side and the USA is no exception. 

It is the ying and the yang. 

The right and the wrong. 

The black and the white.

And while the art (that is what a movie is) is sometimes distasteful there always seems to be an audience.

I am not going to defend the movie, because, to be completely honest I think it is done in poor taste to the delicate nature of the USA, Japan and South Korean relationships with North Korea. I don't find it at all funny to create an entire movie with the theme of "Take him out" to any global leader. I am serious about that. Like, what were they thinking?

But, that is me. That is not the entire of the USA and quite frankly North Korea created their own problem in even recognizing the movie. When it is distributed with or without Sony's permission there won't be any copies left to purchase in an hour after it's release. What better but to be an American that actually purchases a product that pokes North Korea's leadership in the eye? Seriously. This was a really dumb move by North Korea and I am sure they don't like me saying that either.

North Korea forced the USA government to interpret the actions of it's hackers and qualify it further as an 'evil' country. That is not good. North Korea should have simply made it known through diplomatic channels Sony was producing a picture it believed to be ill willed in it's image of North Korean leadership and it strongly objects to it's distribution. With that North Korea would have a chip to play in any talks with the USA and Japan.

I think having a film made about ending life and especially the life of those known around the globe, in this case North Korea's president is extremely stupid. This does very little for democracy anywhere. But, to be precise this is more freedom than most countries tolerate and that is something the USA prides.

Freedom of expression is the way the USA keeps all the citizens connected to each other in either friendship or criticism. Every American has a right to express their ideas and emotions about any topic WITHIN the laws of the country, state or local government. It is a point of pride to the USA and that will never change, so I hope this is a learning experience for all involved.

As much as some, including me, seem to dislike the picture for as much as I know about it; I defend it's right to exist.