Sunday, December 21, 2014

Our laws are always written by those that don't understand the brevity of their actions.

Nate Hamilton, the brother of Dontre Hamilton, speaks at the Marquette University student union before a march to the Milwaukee County Courthouse on Dec. 8. Sheriff’s deputies did not allow the group into the courthouse, an action the Milwaukee County corporation counsel says was improper.

December 19, 2014
By Don Behm

The Milwaukee County Courthouse (click here) must remain open to protesters during regular business hours unless the sheriff's office has clear evidence of intent to disrupt offices and courts or initiate other unlawful conduct, Corporation Counsel Paul Bargren told county officials.
The opinion comes in response to the actions of sheriff's deputies on Dec. 8 to successfully block a group of 40 protesters from entering the courthouse during business hours when criminal courts were in session.
The group of Marquette University students and other supporters of the Dontre Hamilton family marched that day from the student union on campus to the courthouse....

It never fails; the poor, the mentally ill and the minorities are always the victims of unintended consequences.

May 23, 2014
This story was submitted to Occupy Riverwest by guest writer Kelly R. Brandmeyer. 
Even though (click here) this only happened three days ago, I’ve recounted this story more times than I can count. But that’s okay, because this is a story that needs telling. This story has been told in multiple places, multiple times and almost always slightly different than how I actually remember it happening. This story will not just be a retelling, but a discussion, and a realization of what is happening to not just this city, but to our American society on the whole.
This story is about Dontre Hamilton, a 31-year-old black man that lived in the Milwaukee area. I didn’t know him before this incident, but it’s clear to me that his passing leaves many friends and family in its devastating wake. On Wednesday, April 30th, Dontre lost his life in an event that was totally unnecessary and preventable....
...Around 1pm, my coworker and I noticed a man sleeping fairly close to where we have set up shop. He lay sleeping next to the big, stone red arrow: the landmark and namesake of the park. As per Starbucks policy, if we are uncertain or uncomfortable around a sleeping individual (or somebody that may be passed out), we are to call a non-emergency line to prevent any potential conflict – and that is precisely what was done....
...I totally disagreed with heavy-handedly removing people that just want a place to exist....
...The officers informed them that Dontre was doing nothing illegal, there was nothing for them to enforce, and that we should stop calling....
...I was wholly caught off guard for what would occur next. I didn’t see the entire event unfold. I was only alerted to the presence of another officer, after trouble had already started....
...Chris was frozen for a second, then reached down for his side arm. When he pulled this weapon out, I had a sickly feeling about what was going to happen next. Chris didn’t say anything to Dontre.  Nothing like “calm down”, or “back away”, or anything of the sort, with his brandished firearm. He had his gun pointed at Dontre from about 10 feet away for a couple seconds.  That’s when I heard the shots.
I counted the shots as they happened. I guess I expected Chris to just disable him, so I didn’t know how many shots to expect. I counted 3…then 5…then 7…then 10 all in very quick succession....