Sunday, May 26, 2013

I hope everyone's Memorial Day Weekend has meaning.

Juan Williams is my hero of the week.

I want to thank Juan Williams. "Shazam." He  saved me from having to carrying on about the way in which AG Holder's signature actually means there is a lot more to the signature than simply him deciding to play with journalists. I mean Juan Williams actually knows how government works. I was impressed. I am serious. Like, "Shazam."

I thought for the most part the Sunday talk shows were better in tone and facts. There is still that underlying demand to cherry pick words to fit into one minute political ads that can't be affiliated with the candidates.

That is an incredible reality, in that, 501(c)4s can't be affiliated with candidates, but they can use video and sound clips of candidates to carry a message to the public. No one ever litigated that? It seems pretty obvious to me and add to that dynamic the fact political messaging is the focus of many appearing on talk shows. I would love for elected Representatives and Senators to actually explain to their constituents how government works. Take example by Juan Williams and make a commercial as to why constituents should not be anti-government so much as more knowledgeable. It would be interesting. I'd like to see that by a 501(c)4 ad. Explaining how government works and how decisions are made; rather than 15, 30 or 60 seconds of gossip.

I found it interesting the Right Wing today exhibited a double standard. They pat Prime Minister Cameron on the back for stating, "We are engaged in a long struggle against extremist Islam....". Then they turn around and state President Obama doesn't lead, he says one thing and does another, untrustworthy, criminalizing journalism, naive president and how American lives are at risk. 

If Prime Minister Cameron can be understood then President Obama can as well. One might notice the murderers in the UK are charged as criminals and not some kind of terrorist. There is no Gitmo in the UK. So, if the Right Wing can back the WORDS of Prime Minister Cameron they need to understand their own double standard for the USA.

The Press is still acting as though the PTSD of the AP is important. I have never witnessed such helplessness in the face of an opportunity to pass a Shield Law. They want to repeal the Espionage Act and do all kinds of complaining about victimization, but, seek to pass The Shield Law? Heck, no, that might actually solve the problem and they wouldn't have a reason to bellyache. 

Rosen is a non-issue. The USA has a right to pursue protections for reason of national security and if a journalist goes to far then there may be consequences. 

I found characteristic of the Right to feel naked without the threat of war as a weapon. They object the word REPEAL. They believe that will eliminate any opportunity the Commander and Chief may need 'just in case.' Wow. All of a sudden The War Powers Act doesn't exist. 

I don't believe the country will ever be back to a Pre-911 status. It was inherently dangerous. Airlines were wide open to having their jets laden with fuel used as missiles. So, it is all in the definition as to what September 12th means.

I think Candy Crowley is an excellent journalist. There are times I would have come back with a few more points with some of her interviews, but, then I am not facing time constraints.

Have a good weekend.