Saturday, July 17, 2010

"Social Insecurity" by Citizen Fish

Growling as I stare at smiles from the other side of the street


is it the speed I'm walking at or the shoes upon my feet?


I couldn't afford the baseball boots that's not the game I play


and if you'd rather hang about I won't get in your way


if the words you backhand to your friend were meant for me to hear
I'll show you a better way to spend your time over a beer


or a coffee - come on mutant-head! let's drop the social games


call it a bluff call it enough quit calling each other names


there's hardly any difference in the nature of the threat


some like to be remembered by the reaction they can get


others need security in a certain social set


both are too aware of what they yet still have to get


is no one ever satisfied with being what they are?


if you show me all your barbed wire I'll only show you scars


but tell me where you got it from and what it costs in friends


and I'll start to get a picture of a person not a trend


ignorance and affinity to outside influence


rejects the inner feeling at anyone's expense


what provoked attack was the nature of defense


the weak are strong in knowing that such strength is all pretence


so while you're staring at me I'll be grinning back at you


at various intensities we'll both


know it's true


that what each other represents is an image we've been fed


If I'm a fucking waste of space than you're a mutant head


so let's discuss these attitudes and find some common ground


just doing that is ground enough to exorcise the sound of insults, sights of malice, inbred scorn and ignorance

once beyond the posing we can find the relevance