Monday, September 22, 2008

South Africa: Address to the Nation by President Thabo Mbeki

Everything Bush touches turns to mush.

South Africa: Mbeki to Resign After Party Clashes (click here)
20 September 2008

Posted to the web 20 September 2008
John AllenCape Town
President Thabo Mbeki of South Africa is being forced out of office early after a bitter struggle with his rival and successor, Jacob Zuma, over the fallout from a U.S.$5 billion arms deal....



South African Government (Pretoria)
21 September 2008
Posted to the web 21 September 2008
Thabo Mbeki
Fellow South Africans (click title to entry, thank you),
I have no doubt that you are aware of the announcement made yesterday by the National Executive Committee of the ANC with regard to the position of the President of the Republic.
Accordingly, I would like to take this opportunity to inform the nation that today I handed a letter to the Speaker of the National Assembly, the Honourable Baleka Mbete, to tender my resignation from the high position of President of the Republic of South Africa, effective from the day that will be determined by the National Assembly.
I have been a loyal member of the African National Congress for 52 years. I remain a member of the ANC and therefore respect its decisions. It is for this reason that I have taken the decision to resign as President of the Republic, following the decision of the National Executive Committee of the ANC.
I would like sincerely to thank the nation and the ANC for having given me the opportunity to serve in public office during the last 14 years as the Deputy President and President of South Africa....