Thursday, August 14, 2008

I Am Because We Are


Ubuntu is an African word. It is a noun. Its definition is humanity or fellow feeling; kindness. It orginates from the language spoken by the Nguni (click here). In translation it means, "I am because you are." (click here). It is a word used to relate the concept of 'society' we live in. Society is supposed to be benevolent. Kind.
I was not one of the lucky winners to the tickets of this film at the State Theater. I was not one of the lucky winners of tickets to the simulcast at The City Opera House. I was however a lucky person willing to stand in line at The City Opera House hoping there would be a few seats not taken that might be accommodating people as unlucky as myself. I was not alone, there were others as unlucky as me. But. Alas. Even that wasn't my reality. So, how did I get in? A couple attending the simulcast literally walked up to myself and the gentleman in front of me and asked if we would like tickets to the film. It was that simple. I didn't pay a dime and I got to see the simulcast in its entirety. There is a god. I still have the ticket as a souvenir. I gave the $25.00 I would have paid at the State Theater, if I attended there, as a donation to Madonna's charity for these children.
The film was incredible and "No, it wasn't an ego trip for Madonna." She was absolutely lovely that evening. Her story was fascinating.
She states she received a phone call. Now, I am sure that is the case, but, I know for a fact if I tried to call Madonna she would not be available to me nor would I know where to begin to find a phone number for her.
She received a phone call from a person working with an NGO in Malawi (click here). The country was in a state of emergency due to the high number of deaths of adults caused by HIV/AIDS. The person at the other end of the phone stated, "Can you help. We need someone to bring attention to their plight and you would be a person with enough recognition to move people to focus on Malawi's children." Madonna stated back, "I would help, but, I don't even know where Malawi is." The woman phone caller stated, "Look it up." and hung up the phone. That was the beginning of Madonna's venture into a reality few people knew existed. Needless to say she fell in love with the children there and adopted a seriously ill boy (click here) whom will soon have an adopted sister.
Desmond Tutu appears in the film and helps explain the crisis in Malawi and why the world's attention is so critical. During most of the film I had this haunting reality lingering in my thoughts as to 'What the heck happened to the aid the USA was sending these people?" (click here)
The children are profoundly disaffected by HIV/AIDS as some were born with the disease subsequently losing their parents as well. A result were literally children attempting to care for children. They were in survival mode with no resources to sustain them or anyone to teach them how to survive. It was more than sad to realize the level of neglect these children existed in and it was a reassuring reality to come to that a single Pop Star would be their salvation.
I mean for real here. What if that phone call was never made? What if Madonna never had conscience enough to go to their assistance. Do you know the dangers that existed for her when entering a country without infectious disease controls enough to protect its children? There just aren't words enough to describe this reality.
Children now respond to the structure afforded them by Madonna's efforts and receive medicine if they need it, while turning away from survival to more joyous events such as learning and playing. Their childhood is not completely lost to them.
An entire nation of children survives of the ravages of HIV today because a SuperStar cared. It is a global responsiblity for people to now give these children a chance at life, learning and rebuilding a country they inherited, but, a country in shambles from disease. We should all be grateful Madonna received the call.