Monday, October 06, 2014

Coal is dead. Now, the ceremony to bury it is completing. The world is waking and the future is more important. FINALLY.

President Obama is exactly right on Ebola. Duplicity in testing, once in West Africa, second in USA, eventually the HHS will write a policy for a recheck of returning Americans and foreign guests and business people even after returning to the country. I would expect if this infectious virus continues to be a problem there will be a more comprehensive policy that will require community nurses to have a clinic available for rechecks in the USA up to three weeks after return date. That will require additional funding and the question is where to put them has to be decided.

The idea of suing persons infected comes from the lawsuits that came from HIV, too. 

The LGBT Marriage is decided. There is no laws that will stand to remove civil rights of the LGBT community. It's over. If the GLBT community believes the future requires an amendment to the US constitution they should begin to lobby for it. An amendment to establish marriage equality would pass easily in 26 states. The amendment would have to be written as a bill and passed by 2/3rds of the Congress. I know the percentages aren't really there in the Congress, but, the decision by the Supreme Court to pass on appeals is strong persuasion especially with states that have already established marriage equality. I would guess the folks in Massachusetts are feeling pride to the victory today. I congratulate them and the stalwarts like Barney Frank. Job well done everyone. 

President Obama didn't start the war on coal. I did. That is no lie. I watched a grandfather die of Black Lung from Pennsylvania Anthracite Coal. I watched piles of coal tailing burn a dull brilliance all night across from my grandparents home. I slid across the kitchen floor that was angled down because the mine under the house allowed the sinking of the front right corner of the house. My grandfather and today my aunt checks the house basement every year and repair as necessary in Olyphant, Pennsylvania on East Scott Street in the valley between two step hills. I watched as the smog from coal would turn trees black and I learned about the carbon dioxide robbing my children and their children of their future. Believe me when I take responsibility for the war on coal, I mean it.

Coal is finished. Even the Republicans are running away from it. But, don't expect them to embrace alternatives, they are embracing natural gas for the benefit of their cronies.

...The more popular dodge in American politics (click here) usually runs in the other direction: acknowledge humanity’s role in exacerbating global warming, then hem and haw about whether anything needs to be done from a cost-benefit perspective. But Snyder and Sandoval have essentially chosen the mirror-opposite mix: ignore the cause, then move on to the policy — albeit modestly — anyway....