Wednesday, May 28, 2014

"I was suffering from a god complex."

Those were the words spoken by a USA soldier recently returned from Afghanistan.

"I didn't care about being home or going home. I was in control and it was a nothing more than a bad habit."

Two and a half years ago he was on the battlefield in Afghanistan when he had a nervous breakdown. The military immediately removed him to Europe for evaluation. It was decided he could no longer function to carry out daily tasks, yet alone fire a weapon and save his own life or the lives of others.

He was shipped home and spent two years in rehab for PTSD. He only recently was released to return home to his family. And it was only two days ago he told his grandfather visiting for a fishing trip, "I was suffering from a god complex. I believed I had control over all life within my line of sight, including my own. Nothing could hurt me. Being in Afghanistan was where I belonged forever."

Hayden has his own god complex. He needs to put on the uniform and handle the Taliban forever. It might not pay as well, but, the satisfaction to being god far outweighs any tangible items money can buy. Sex is meaningless when he can slaughter an entire village within minutes. Better than sex even.