Saturday, May 04, 2013

Jason Collins isn't about gender, it is about football and the American masculine mystique.


Sacrilegious! 

Men will lose their love of football, their love of women and life in the USA will end as we know it. 

It is much more than a man stating he is comfortable in his own skin as many before him have done. It is about destroying the very nature of what supports the American Male Ego and whether or not marriages will disintegrate in large numbers.

The closet is much larger than any American has imagined. And what if it really is contagious?

What happens if Americans are revealed as being genetically predisposed to gayism. The entire market pressures will change and the world will come to an end.

This story appears in the May 6, 2013, issue of Sports Illustrated.



I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.

My journey of self-discovery and self-acknowledgement began in my hometown of Los Angeles and has taken me through two state high school championships, the NCAA Final Four and the Elite Eight, and nine playoffs in 12 NBA seasons....