Sunday, October 02, 2011

I'm going to take the previous story one step further.

My personal experience with this mess is that my mother was believing everything that came as emails.  She has lived a comfortable life and my father was always there to protect her.  If she wanted to be gullible then she could be as gullible as she wanted to be until the gullibility reached dear old dad and 'he would handle it.'  He never minded and loved that side of her.


I guess the proper expression regarding Mom, "She lived a protected life."  And basically she did.  I remember she said she was going to divorce Dad once, but, it was because he hadn't mowed the lawn in more than a week.


She is a widow now.  She has been simple and devout all her life.  She prays the rosary daily and attends mass nearly as often.  She volunteers on a regular basis and leads a senior group organized by the Priests of her parish.  She is a nice lady.  Now.  She no longer has the man in her life that protects her.  She is a worry to myself and my sister.  We don't want her hurt and while these emails are mostly entertainment they can be very dangerous if wrongly used.  It also serves a purpose to keep her vulnerable.  I have been setting up good habits for her and I hate it, but, she now does things like sets the house alarm every night and takes it off in the morning.  All that was my Father's role in her life.  


This stuff that circulates among vulnerable people based in untruths and packed full of emotional composition is sad.  It is to me.  I just believe Mom doesn't need all this faux compassion in her life and I think it 'sets her up' to be vulnerable.  Oh, well.