Monday, August 29, 2011

I have yet to witness the abilities of Nic Robertson in the Middle East by another journalist.

Tripoli, Libya (CNN) -- Nothing could have prepared me for what I'm about to see.
I'm in a fancy villa in a posh part of Tripoli, walking through the garden past a huge plastic children's swing set and a trampoline that dominate the lush green lawn. A young man is filling a large swimming pool.

All this in a city where water is running out. I've not had a shower or washed in running water for three days. The al-Megrahis, it seems, are not short of money.

This villa connects to another, equally palatial but far more contemporary. It's clad in modern ceramic tiles, like something you'd see in trendy London neighborhood.

As I walk up the grand staircase towards the front door, I'm mentally composing my questions -- what I'll ask Abdel Basset al-Megrahi first. Did you do it? Did Gadhafi give you the orders?

I've been waiting for the moment for a long time....


Nic Robertson: Bin Laden interview (click here)

November 11, 2001 Posted: 11:00 AM EST (1600 GMT)

I am quite certain he is the journalist of choice to many in the Middle East.  In the instance with al-Magrahi; the rebels and the family needed to make it known to a global community that indeed the decisions regarding extradition were the only ones to make.  So, they turned to a trusted journalist.  Nic is more valuable than he can ever be paid.  Dedication is invaluable and marked with status and not pieces of gold.