Friday, September 30, 2016

The Flint River Water Project

Ongoing Research:

This project requires dates and times. I have to learn the dates and times from the research material and then enter it to retrieve the information I am looking for. In addition to that there is the variety of locations the information can be. That is not an issue. I can obtain data as I go and record it as I read it. That means I can have multiple points of fact that I read and record in a chronological dialogue. It is just tedious. This is going to take awhile, but, it won't take forever.


Did you know Flint, Michigan is at a 90 degree elbow turn in the Flint River?

There is such a thing as river processes that bring about changes in the river flow. I find it more than interesting such a "right angle (90 degrees)" exists at the place the city is named the same as the river. People name things, including rivers.

The pressure of water breaks (click here) away rock particles from the river bed and banks. The force of the water hits river banks, and then pushes water into cracks. Air becomes compressed, pressure increases and the riverbank may, in time collapse. Where velocity is high  e.g. the outer bend of meaner, hydraulic action can remove material from the banks which may lead to undercutting and and river bank collapse. Near waterfalls and and rapids, the force may be strong enough to work on lines of weakness in joints and bedding planes until they are eroded.

There is something else I find interesting. 


Below is the legend for the entire map of the USA.

Michigan falls into the next to lowest number of EPA water samples with other states, other than zero.




This is not by far all the information I am looking for, but, I want everyone to know I am sincere about coming to terms with the atrocity that occurred under Governor Snyder.

Alaska, known for it's beautiful rivers full of fish, falls into the category of 335,421 to 879,332 discrete water samples according to the color of the legend. It is estimated Michigan's population in 2014 is 9.9 million people, while Alaska's population is 736,732 in the same year.

The point is I don't want to hear excuses that northern Michigan doesn't need that much vigilance. If Alaska requires that level of vigilance, so does Michigan.

According to the drop down menu, Alaska has 1,447,049 EPA discrete water samples with an additional 53,823 USGS discrete water samples.

There is something wrong with this picture. The fisheries are commercial and people's lives are not. That is just me and not official record that I have located yet.

Thank you for your interest.