Tuesday, February 24, 2015

$2.5 billion sales tax hike. Sales tax takes money away from those trying to save for their first home.

January 31, 2013
By Hannah Franklin

Ohio poverty statistics: (click here)
 
- 1 in 6 Ohioans live below the national poverty level.

- Our statewide poverty rate is 16.4; the national rate is 15.9

- 42.3% of those living in poverty work full- or part-time.

- Poverty increased in Ohio by 57.7% between 1999 and 2011, though the population only increased 1.7%

- Over the past 22 years, the hourly wage of Ohio’s richest 10% increased by $3.99, while wages for low-income workers decreased by 71 cents and those for middle-income workers by $1.34.

- 1 in 12 Ohioans living in poverty has a bachelor’s degree or higher.
Cleveland’s poverty rate in 2009 was 26.3%; in 2011, it was 34.3% (a 7.3% increase)....

re: City of robots and rude people - 11/21/2010 - 2/18/2013
I have lived in major cities--New York, Los Angeles and Chicago--and I am overwhelmed with the rudeness that I have to deal with on a daily basis in Columbus, OH. My ex wife dragged me here so she could be close to her family and I seriously do not know what is wrong with these people, other than the fact that they worship boys' football here, and the violence is embedded in the pysches. Again, I come from what is considered tough cities, but I have never been in a physical confrontation until I got here. My neighbor, whom I don't even know, stared me down like he wanted to kill me after I had said hello. People are either angry or dismissive for no reason. And the "We don't do things that way here." attitude permeates throughout this town. I am moving in a month and cannot wait. This place is hell. 


Everyone knows a state sales tax increase effects the Poor more than anyone else. Republicans love to raise sales tax or add on fees here or there. Sales tax is always paid by out of state tourists and a person can decide to get involved with fees. So, the Republicans never tax the resident, it is always everyone else's money.

February 3, 2015
By Randy Ludlow

Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s (click here) budget plan to decrease income taxes by 23 percent while tacking an additional half-cent onto the state sales tax would deliver a few hundred dollars in tax savings to many Ohio families.
But the savings would be less for poorer families since they pay little income tax and spend a larger percentage of their income on sales taxes than more-fortunate Ohioans.
Kasich unveiled the latest step toward his goal of eliminating the state income tax yesterday when he rolled out his recommendations for the $72.3 billion state budget for the two years beginning July 1.
A $5.7 billion tax reduction from the state income tax cut combines with nearly $5.2 billion in tax increases for a net $523 million in tax savings....

Kasick is the latest Brownback Wannabee.