Friday, May 22, 2015

A person with a lisp falls under the American with Disabilities Act. Having an income doesn't disappear because one has a disability to surmount, be it short term or a lifetime.

No person with a disability should be apologizing for it. Never. That is simply the way their body works. Surmounting a disability is a challenge more people don't have. It requires effort to simply function to be in line with everyone else. Regardless of the disability they should be admired for their life and the challenge they face everyday.

No one should apologize for a matter they have no control. It's ridiculous to think any handicap is accommodated by law and social contract and therefore in gratitude for a just society. They are Americans seeking to pull their own weight. That is nothing to apologize for.

There is an article in The New Zealand Herald I found very interesting. It is about a syndrome called selective mutism, known better as SM. As first glance the child is sometimes thought to be autistic. Tests of the child by professionals show differently.

The children suffer by harassment in school as well. It makes the recovery from SM a difficult challenge. The article is by a mother and the family's journey through a difficult diagnosis.

May 23, 2015
By Kim O'Connell

...Typically, (click here) SM kids speak in certain places where they're most comfortable, such as home, but not in other locations, such as school or day care. This was the case with our son. For selectively mute kids, I read, even whispering with one other person can feel like speaking to a crowd of thousands.
Reading about SM, I felt a shock of recognition. Growing up, I, too, had suffered from a public-speaking phobia, and I rarely participated in class discussions. In high school, I would lose sleep for nights on end before giving an oral report.
Although I've mostly conquered those fears, painful, embarrassing memories rushed to the surface as I perused Web sites about the condition. And along with them came a deep sense of guilt. I learned that three-fourths of children with SM have a parent with social anxiety. If anxiety was in my son's makeup, I was convinced that I had put it there....