Sunday, September 30, 2012

Disappearing flora due to the Climate Crisis, means disappearing fauna.

Cristián Samper, the new president and chief executive of the Wildlife Conservation Society, at the Bronx Zoo on Wednesday.


...“My stature (click here) with the kids went up dramatically,” Dr. Samper said jokingly on Wednesday, his first day of work at the society’s headquarters at the Bronx Zoo. “This is much cooler.”
Dr. Samper, 46, a tropical biologist, arrived at the society after leading the Natural History Museum for nearly a decade. Born in Costa Rica and raised in Colombia, he roamed the forests there as a boy, cultivating a lifelong passion for studying and protecting plants and animals, and rising to become the chief science adviser for biodiversity for the Colombian government.
The transition from administering a vast collection that lies mostly in drawers and jars to managing one that actively prowls four of the five boroughs was motivated, he said, by a sense of urgency. Some scientists say that because of habitat loss, climate change and other factors, the world faces the possibility of a mass extinction comparable to the one that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.
“I’ve spent the last 30 years of my life studying wildlife, and many of the cloud forests that I once did research on are now gone — literally,” he said. “When I go back to the field, I see an incredible loss of species. Part of my decision to make this career change is that I feel I can’t be a bystander. This is an opportunity to protect and conserve these species....