Thursday, September 23, 2010

Congratulations to Mr. Democracy. I mean that sincerely. I wasn't always a fan.

Michael has just been awarded "The John Steinbach Award."  (click title to entry - thank you)

I don't see that plastered all over the media either.  It is easier to demonize Michael to benefit Republicans than to sincerely assess 'the man' and 'his work.' 

Rhetoric is a very funny thing.  It allows faux impressions to exist when they shouldn't and Michael has been a victim of his love of the USA and its people for far to long.

Previous to "Fahrenheit 911" I had heard of Michael Moore and I knew he was a celebrated documentarian, but, I never really thought he was 'all that.'  I knew he had a point of view, but, I never considered it to be so poignant that it should 'shake loose' my 'core belief system' about the political process in the USA.  I never considered the Republicans a 'profound threat' to the USA, its people and its democracy as I do today.  And I never made those decisions lightly.

I began taking Michael's work far more seriously when I was watching "Larry King Live" one evening and it was the time when Disney would not 'distribute' 'Fahrenheit 911."  I had read something about that in the news media and was beginning to follow it when Michael decided to take his plight to the national stage.  In many ways, when Disney (a profound pundit of Bush and the Republicans) actually censored Mr. Moore it was the absolute worse thing they could do.  It propelled the film front and center.  There was no NOT seeing Fahrenheit 911 at that point, at least for me, it was no longer an option.  It wasn't so much the opposition, as I had already concluded, even before Fahrenheit 911 that the Iraq invasion was completely wrong.  I already knew there were 'no' WMD.  I had been reading journal articles about the research surrounding WMD that the USA Defense Department was conducting and I knew there was no way biologicals of any kind, chemical or otherwise could survive in the Iraqi desert climate.

So, the film wasn't really the issue for me.  I already knew there was something drastically wrong in DC and with the freedoms of democracy in the USA.  It was the fact an independent and well established institution, like Disney, was actually censoring a film that was ready to be distributed.  The censorship was the issue.  I admired Michael for going up against the 'establishment' and I wanted to be among the Americans to support him and demand distribution of the film.

And once I had watched Fahrenheit, then I had to see "Bowling for Columbine," and then "Roger and Me," etc., etc., etc.  I today have most, if not all, of his DVDs and books.  I have made a bit of a study of Mr. Moore.  I love my country.  I believe in democracy.  I believe in the American way of life, when it isn't being 'worked over' by plutocrats.  And for me to 'simply take a stand' for its populous 'moment' isn't what I am all about.  The truth matters to my Constitution and it matters to me.

I am not going to get into what I believe about Michael Moore and how history will record his life and work, but, I will say this.  I believe he is a moral man of great character, profoundly entrenched in his belief of love of family and country.  I am more than pleased he has received this award.

Congratulations, Michael.  I don't know of another man that deserved it or better said, "earned it."