Tuesday, September 08, 2015

New York Military Academy, (click here) established in 1889 in Cornwall-on-Hudson, New York, is a college preparatory school for day and boarding students in grades 8 through 12.  NYMA is dedicated to a comprehensive and substantive process of developing young leaders who are "Inspired, Engaged, and Ready" for success and fulfillment in college and in life....

I know something about NYMA. My son attended there and graduated from the school. He absolutely loved it there. I could go on and brag about how great he is and the school is, but, I won't. I will speak to the military aspect of the school, however. My son is a great guy by the way. He is a wonderful and devoted family man. He and his wife are successful folks.

September 8, 2015
By Michael Barbaro

Donald J. Trump, (click here) who received draft deferments through much of the Vietnam War, told the author of a forthcoming biography that he nevertheless “always felt that I was in the military” because of his education at a military-themed boarding school.

Mr. Trump said that his experience at the New York Military Academy, an expensive prep school where his parents had sent him to correct poor behavior, gave him “more training militarily than a lot of the guys that go into the military.”...

But, New York Military Academy is a legitimate part of the military and considered Junior ROTC. That is a real entity of the military. As a matter of fact back in the day young men could have been drafted to serve, although that would never happen today.

The curriculum at the school is US Army. They learn all sorts of survival skills like orienteering. They spend time at West Point in the summer for officer training. 

If Donald Trump wanted to enter the US Army, not West Point, he could and he would enter as an E5. At least I think that is what occurs. He would receive higher rank and enter at a higher pay scale for having graduated from NYMA. So, the experience at the academy is real, but, it is not about war, it is about the theory of war. And there are classes on historic battles and how generals make decisions and of course the superintendent of the school is retired military with a higher rank. A good number of the teaching staff are retired military, so it sort of is like Junior West Point. It is a good education and landed my son a scholarship to law school. 

So, I think it is important people know the reference to NYMA is a legitimate statement and not some off the cuff rich kid statement. The young people there work hard for their grades. They participate in sports; my son was in wrestling for his high years. He won regularly in school competitions. And they have a fantastic social life where they learn how to be a part of a social environment. That behavior is a method of grooming them for their adult life. My son is a very charming man. He has a lovely wife and he can do no wrong. They love each other dearly. But, his charisma opens doors for him as does his practice of the truth and honoring laws also has contributed to his career success. 

NYMA is a great school with great people and they turn out great people. I am glad to hear Donald Trump considers the school with pride. He should.

Basically, the young people I came to know during my son's high school years have gone on to be incredibly wonderful people. There is nearly every state in the union represented at the school and something like 30 some countries. It is an incredible place. 

To also note is the social life includes places in New York City with a train ride from near the school. They had a good time. But, they never got in trouble. I do mean never. They went into the city with a group of about 14 or 15 peers and never had trouble, but, they weren't looking for it either. If I could ever make a wish for young people in the USA it would be to have the experience my son had during his high school years. It was a charmed life. He knew he was loved by his parents. His friends would visit to my home on weekends regularly. They were always at his birthday party. I loved them all dearly.

But, I digress.