Sunday, August 26, 2012

For those interested in understanding BMI (Body Mass Index) I liked this approach. (click title to entry - thank you)

The link at the title is a funny page that allows a parent to put their child's height and weight in with their birth date to find the child's BMI. It sort of explains the concept. But, I thought this approach was less alienating then others.

This picture came from an article I have below, because  for all those that believe this is an urgent need to address in the USA, there are at least that many that oppose it. I think parents should be ready for the negative arguments. It is their children they love, not the neighbor who has ideas that won't work for someone else's family.

But, I find nothing wrong with the idea of children weighing themselves. In the USA families mark a molding for each birthday, so there is already the concept that a child's body grows. For a child to step on the scale once a month or if there is a problem with obesity, once a week, is a healthy habit to develop. But, it needs to be part of thinking healthy about their bodies. Obsession is not where it is at. Being 'in the know' and growing strong and healthy is the idea.


Is our focus on obesity doing kids more harm than good? (click here)



While out shopping over the holiday weekend, I passed a child in a store buggy snacking on a bag of M&M’s. The little candies were strewn all over his lap and his hands were stained with multiple colors. I smiled at the sight of him, figuring his mother had used the sweet treats to appease him as she worked her way through her Christmas list.

A few minutes later, after I had contemplated what I had seen, I turned to my boyfriend and asked him if I was being too judgmental by thinking that M&M’s were an inappropriate snack to give a child of the boy's age, which I guessed was 3.

His answer was no — but then he said I would probably be one of those overbearing, controlling moms who won’t let her kids eat any junk food.

Although I’m not a mom yet, I fear there may be some truth to that.