Sunday, August 26, 2012

"My child is not defined by a bunch of lines in a box."

There is some controversy about BMI vs Height and Weight when it comes to children's growth. I am not going to get into that. It is a topic parents need to work out with their pediatrician. What is important is having a relationship with your child(rens) doctor.


Below is an article from WebMD.

More Self-Control as a Child, Lower BMI as Adult?

Are Kids Who Can Resist Temptation Less Likely to Be Overweight Adults? (click title to entry - thank you)


The charts on this page are growth charts, They are very different. The one on top is a girls growth chart with height and weight percentiles. The one at the bottom is a boy's growth chart in BMI (Body Mass Index). Pediatricians use these as a tool. They can check on the growth of the child in relation to NORMALS. When a child strays from normals, it may be an indicator of problems within the child's metabolism or habits that need to be modified to insure a healthy adult emerges from the childhood.




There is nothing to be afraid of when it comes to viewing these charts. When my sons were growing up the pediatrician (a guy pediatrician) regularly discussed their health with me as he saw it. It was a good discussion and I appreciated it. My family is prone to weight problems in generation after generation, so it was important to me that they have a chance to grow with normal weight. And they did. I took recommendations seriously and was a good parent to my sons. I didn't think to load their pictures for tonight, but, I'll keep it in mind for another time. Each of my sons were always the perfect weight for their height and they enjoyed their teen years. They were happy and when they graduated from High School, they were handsome. Very handsome guys, void of a lot of bad habits.