Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"Bowling for Columbine" turns ten and Fahrenheit 911 will be soon enough.

May 27th, 2002 12:00 AM

"Bowling for Columbine" Wins Cannes Prize (click here)

Dear friends,
By now you may have awakened to the news that last night, in Cannes, France, my new film, "Bowling for Columbine," was awarded the Special Prize of the 55th Cannes Film Festival. It had already made history by being the first documentary chosen to be part of the official festival competition in almost 50 years. And, last night, it was the only prize awarded that received a unanimous decision from the festival jury. The film's crew and I have never experieced anything like this.
Now, you're probably wondering what happened to that guy who wrote "Stupid White Men?" I know it seems like I disappeared for the better part of April and May. Contrary to the wild rumors I helped to initiate, I was not abducted by the Ashcroft Aliens for violating the new Patriot Act.
In truth, the book tour spun out of control when I couldn't say no to all the places that asked me to come and speak. Before I knew it, I had done 64 appearances in a total of 47 cities. Then, on the morning of my birthday, I was awakened with a call from France, asking me if I would allow my film to be shown in competition at the Cannes Film Festival. What do you say to a call like that? "Hey, it's my birthday, dammit, I'm trying to sleep!"...

...To now have this record-setting response to "Bowling for Columbine" happen here at Cannes is beyond belief. It's more than I deserve and I feel truly blessed and privileged. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I wish there was some way to repay all of you, like an internet version of let's all go out for a pizza. Maybe someday!
Thanks again.
Yours,
Michael Moore
Filmmaker
Author
Lifetime Member, N.R.A.


Michael Moore was victorious and as a consequence, so were we.

Two years apart, the victories were glorious.

BY ROGER EBERT / May 19, 2004
...In any event it was "the longest ovation in the history of the festival," according to Thierry Fremaux, the festival's director. At a party Monday evening, I asked Moore. "It depends on when you start counting," he said. "Do you start with the beginning of the closing credits or when the lights go up? When they just wouldn't stop clapping, I walked out and they kept applauding in the lobby."...



 'Fahrenheit 9/11' won the festival's top prize the
Palme d'Or on May 22nd, 2004 on its way to becoming
the highest-grossing documentary in history