Tuesday, June 23, 2015

I apologize for any offensive reference to the African American community in the use of Mr.

The widow, Mrs. Myrlie Evers, has asked for the murderer not to be addressed as Mister. Interesting.

The cultural divide includes fine details regarding respect. 

The use of Mr. in relation to Dylann Roof was simply to remove the idea he was best called Dylann, as if a friend. I thought the use of Mr. would remove the idea he could ever be a human being with positive characteristics. Basically, he was not worthy of a first name. He would be more of an object.

It makes sense to me the properness of the title Mr. in relation to Dylann Roof would be offensive to a community of people that value respect. 

I simply ask, to mention how Dylann Roof should be referred when journalists write about him. I might also point out he is not being discussed in recent hours. I haven't seen any discussion of Dylann Roof for nearly a day now. The country is far more worried about respecting the lives of African American citizens to prevent any understanding of hate. So, if there is a solace in any of this, it is the country is sincerely concerned about their African American and minority citizens.  

Until it is clear I suppose anyone writing about Dylann Roof will be in a quandary to how he is expressed in the written word.