Sunday, August 01, 2010

The Traverse City Film Festival

This is the sixth year for the Traverse City Film Festival.  It gets better and bigger every year.  Michael Moore has outdone himself proud this year.  Every choice was difficult to make when selecting the tickets to purchase and the films did not disappoint. 

The Feature through the festival was the welcome presence of Cuban Filmmakers.  Unfortunately, I was not at the festival for the entire week, so I had to choose.  The films I chose were 'top of the list' for 'content' and I really didn't have much choice.  However, I plan to view the Cuban films at some point.  If nothing else, next year, I will arrive early to Traverse City to spend a day or so at the public library where there is an archive of all the movies shown at the film festivals of the past six years.  However, I plan to seek out the Cuban films on the net, through HBO on demand or other media services to hopefully find some kind of distribution of these brilliant people.

Having 'trade' with Cuba again is a wonderful thing.  I am so pleased the film industry is alive in Cuba and they are able to bring their stories to the USA.  There was a time when Cuba was a good friend of the USA, perhaps, these brilliant filmmakers are the beginning to that 'renewed' reality.  It is called NORMALIZING RELATIONS.

One other thing.  There were many foreign films at the festival.  I would say at least half of the films I viewed had subtitles.  But, that isn't exactly it either.  The English speaking films weren't necesssarily made in the USA, but, in Canada and Australia where the government funds INDEPENDENT filmmakers, so, not EVERY TOPIC under the sun is exclusively controlled by the PLUTOCRACY.

Hello, Washington !!!!!!!!!

The films I viewed at the Sixth Traverse City Film Festival are the focus of this evening, so let's get on with it.  I promise much I have to say won't be received well.