Tuesday, July 21, 2015

I have a wish for the average car driver.

I want people to adapt a behavior when they are pulled to the side of the road.

Be open to the fact you may have done something wrong. 

Stop the personal interests in the car including turning off the radio and/or the CD player. Close the mobile phone. Put aside the cigarettes. Don't eat or drink. Don't make the police officer talk over the noise in your car. Tell others in the car to stop any noise and show respect for the fact there is a police officer at the window or otherwise. Give complete attention to the officer.

Be prepared to easily reach for the driver's license, car registration and proof of insurance and hand it to the officer with pride. You do your best to obey the law and these documents are the beginning of that proof.

I would prefer a paper copy of any documents. Leave the cell phone for emergencies.

When the officer comes to the window, be it woman or man, state this: "Officer I am sorry. I had no idea I did something wrong." When requested hand over the documents. 

Practice this statement at home:  

 "Officer I am sorry. I had no idea I did something wrong."

 "Officer I am sorry. I had no idea I did something wrong."

 "Officer I am sorry. I had no idea I did something wrong."

DON'T ARGUE. There is no reason to argue with a police officer. They have very little power in their job the way it is and arguing is perceived as disrespect and next comes the taser or gun or both. Don't argue. Leave that for the courtroom.

Be patient. When the officer brings the citation to sign, refuse if you like. It is okay not to sign anything without the advise of an attorney. Simply state, "I rather not sign anything without the advice of an attorney." Simple. To the point, it is within your rights. The officer will provide a copy of the citation to you anyway and there will be a time and date to appear in court.

Practice this at home:

"I rather not sign anything without the advice of an attorney."

"I rather not sign anything without the advice of an attorney."

"I rather not sign anything without the advice of an attorney."

Accept the citation as if a business transaction with an officer simply doing  his job. 

After the officer presents you with a citation or warning (hopefully your apology will place you in a better judgement by the officer, but, maybe not) ask if you can proceed back onto the highway. OR Wait until the officer pulls away and then pull SAFELY back onto the road. If a driver waits until the officer has pulled away there is no chance to get another citation. But, the point here is to be sure you understand you are dismissed from the transaction by either verbal statement releasing you or by witnessing the officer driving off.

I want everyone to be safe. And there is a 100 percent chance you didn't learn to drive or traffic etiquette from my Dad. 

Please be safe.

Please be safe.

Please be safe.