Sunday, May 05, 2013

Proud of your heritage. You know the one that is ethnic. Irish. German. Polish.

In the USA, the melting pot, we all self identify with our ethnic heritage.

Former Major Nidal Malik Hasan was a Palestinian. Born in the USA. In Virginia. He was a native born American.

But, he parents were from Palestine. To be exact, al-Bireh in the West Bank.

When does self-identification with genetic heritage take a different tilt? Don't tell me for one minute there weren't self-radicalized Irish in the USA. I know there was. I had two uncles, second generation in the USA, that absolutely mourned Northern Ireland. A grandmother, first generation in the USA, that could not stand the sight of Queen Elizabeth II. 

Don't tell me this is new, it isn't and I know it isn't. My family never built bombs or found identity over the internet or thought turning against the USA was ever an answer, but, they were self-identified back to Ireland and had strong opinions and reactions to Northern Ireland.