Friday, September 21, 2012

Elizabeth Warren needs to openly own her Choctaw heritage.

Miss Choctaw Nation (click here) Cheyenne Murray; Junior Miss, Cheyenne Shomo and Little Miss, Josephine Gilmore will represent our tribe this year as our royalty. For more information, pictures, winners, etc., follow the link to see results.

She is from Oklahoma and the Choctaw are tribes in Oklahoma. She should talk to that.


Six Oklahoma State University students to benefit from $350,000 Choctaw Nation endowment (click here)

I don't know that much about the Choctaw nation, but, I do know about The Trail of Tears and the hardship caused to these people because of it.

The picture to the article cited has some fairly pale members of the Choctaw nation. 

Elizabeth needs to talk about what she loves about her heritage whenever it comes up. I am quite confident she is proud of it, but, OWN IT. The Choctaw nation she is a member will appreciate being embraced as well.

Oh, the pictures of the young ladies? They are the princesses. Wait, I'll get that notice. There ya go, Miss Choctaw Nation. NOW, the picture is complete.


I've been to Oklahoma by the way. I have friends there. High School friend. Actually we were best friends. She was valedictorian of our class. She went to college and then got this really great job with Mobile. At least I think it is Mobile. Close to retirement now, if not already. She opens and closes the place. No lie. She is usually the first one on site and the last to leave. She is brilliant and loves to work. She met a dentist and they have a family. But, the tone of Oklahoma reflects the pride the state it has in its strong Native American Indian culture.

As I drove into Oklahoma the first thing I saw was the large Tipi in the rest area. I had not seen that anywhere else and it was something I had to turn around and take a picture of. Nice people in Oklahoma. I still have that picture by the way. I had my children with me for the visit so the Tipi was a fun stop.

I don't want to appear to be a know it all, but, I have a history in Massachusetts. I lived in the area off and on. First southern New Hampshire where I worked primarily in Lowell. I worked with the community regarding health care. Was one of the first to infuse gamma globulin to children testing positive for HIV in the minority community there. Troubling is the word I would use regarding that community. They really did have a language barrier which I strongly believe caused larger numbers to be HIV positive. They simply didn't know. 

But, that is not the point. There are four polls out of Massachusetts and the one reflecting a edge by Brown makes sense to me. Couple of reasons.

...The GOP incumbent is beating Warren by a 50-44 percent margin (click here) among registered Bay State voters, a turnaround from the last University of Massachusetts Lowell/Herald poll nine months ago that had the Democratic challenger leading by seven points. Among likely voters, Brown is leading the Harvard Law professor by a 49-45 percent margin, just within the poll’s 5.5 percent margin of error....

The most obvious, of course, from my experience in Lowell is the language barrier among minority voters. Also being sure those people vote this election cycle. But, the other thing is these folks are hard working people. They do LABOR and if there exists a language barrier or CULTURAL barrier of any kind it would be reflected by the 'visual choice' of 'the man in the pick up truck.' The reason Brown calls Elizabeth 'professor' is try to distance her from 'his exclusive constituency' which is enamored with his pick up truck, regardless of his violation of their trust by siding with Wall Street in crony relationships. "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours." If that is not evident in Scott Brown I don't know what is.

Elizabeth is a good egg. She sincerely loves the people of Massachusetts and would be a great Senator for them. My only thought. Get your hands dirty, Elizabeth. Work in the garden, plant some vegetables. She should show people she is not above anyone's life work or experience in seeking to represent them.

Planting fall-blooming bulbs: Spring gets all the attention, to be sure, but some bulbs bloom in fall, and they're gorgeous and easy to grow — and they're a wonderful sight to behold when the gardening year is winding down. Among this group are the autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale — no relation to true crocuses — or Crocus speciosus), winter daffodil (Sternbergia),Guernsey lily (Nerine bowdenii), saffron crocus (Crocus sativus), and even a species of snowdrops (Galanthus reginae-olgae). If your local garden center doesn't have these, look for them in specialty bulb catalogs or on gardening Web sites.