Monday, December 12, 2011

FDA Advisory panels need to be an ally to parents. They really don't want their teens pregnant.

"Teens say that parents most influence their decisions about sex, love and relationships."  (click title to entry - thank you)

When a government agency comes out with recommendations as far reaching as allowing young teens to access over the counter emergency contraception it scares reasonable adults.

I raised two young men to adulthood while avoiding sexual trauma.  I remember an 17 year old woman actually chasing my 14 year old for attention.  She wanted to have sex, she wanted to be his girlfriend in every way.  He was very good looking and charasmatic and was a leader in his demeanor, but, when it came to having sex he ran the other way.  He didn't shrink from her approaches and would have allowed the abuse if I hadn't talked to him about his right to be sexually restrained.  His right to be innocent. 

Once by son and I came to terms of what was occurring I asked if he wanted me to speak to the woman's parents, would it help?  He said it would be helpful.  So, I did and much to my surprise the mother of this 17 year old women stated I was discriminating against her daughter because of age.  That she was married to her husband that was 5 years younger than she.  Never once did the mother appreciate the huge gap of emotional development existing between her daughter and my son.  My 14 year old was not ready for a relationship, he was ready for wrestling practice. 

The conversation with this mother was futile and I simply ended it by stating there would be criminal charges filed if this continued.  Those are all organic understandings about live and the character of a child.  That reality is overlooked by those that want to cerebralize the experience and provide better precedent.  Damn, the precedent if one can't protect children from abuse.