Tuesday, June 04, 2013

I have a lot of respect for the Late Senator Frank Lautenberg. I am willing to give Governor Christi the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I know that won't go over well and I'll be the most stupid woman on the net. But. That is the way I see it. I sincerely do not believe Governor Christi is being that ruthless about this. As a matter of fact I think he is being more respectful than anyone wants to give him credit.

See, it would be wrong to provide focus on any enhancement to the Governor Race with expectations of 'help' from the Late Senator's seat. I sincerely believe Governor Christi wanted Frank to have his own election.

It is more than that, too.

Governor Christi could have replaced the Late Senator without the benefit of an election for the people of New Jersey until 2014. That wouldn't have been right.

The people of New Jersey loved Frank. I would not want to be the Governor to choose a replacement and then disappoint them because the replacement didn't measure up to Frank. Those shoes are hard to fill.

I find it more pleasant to think about this Special Election as an actual special event for a special Senate seat. I don't really care about the ruthlessness everyone is going to assign this race. The race will be what it will be, but, it won't be coveted for anything else, except, a race that will replace a rather amazing man.

I wish all those running for the Senate seat the best of luck. They will need it. It will be nearly impossible to replace a man like Frank Lautenberg. I suggest they and the media get started to find the best of the political playing field in New Jersey, Frank would want it that way. 

June 4, 2013 
Washington, DC

Chris Christi seems in no danger of losing his re-election bid (click here) this November. But for all of his bipartisan appeal, he does have a way of irking Republicans and Democrats alike. Under New Jersey's murky election laws, Mr Christie had wide latitude to schedule an election for the Senate seat left vacant by Frank Lautenberg's death yesterday. Republicans hoped he would choose November 2014, and then pick a Republican to fill the seat until then. Democrats demanded an election this year, and are still hoping Mr Christie replaces like with like in the Senate....

I think some folks forget who Chris Christi really is sometimes. They don't know him as the US Attorney committed to dealing with corruption. They don't realize how committed he has been to good governance. He is a force to contend with. I think he respected Frank as much as anyone and I dare anyone to say otherwise.