Sunday, May 12, 2013

Scheduling parenthood.

Ms. TUCKER: ...there's two teenagers (click here) by myself in an urban area, raising them. And I've had that situation where, you know, the job I really wanted to keep, I couldn't keep it because we had, you know, times where I had to be places I didn't have a sitter.


MARTIN: Constant - so, sort of constant lack of control over your schedule...

Ms. TUCKER: Yeah.

MARTIN: ...unplanned overtime, too hard to wheel it around, make arrangements, never discussed.

Ms. TUCKER: Never discussed.

Ms. IVEY: Yeah. Absolutely. I do agree with her. In our case, I know that when my husband was with a private law firm some years ago and I was home, he was free to work as much as he wanted, and he did. He worked a lot of hours. It was kind of crazy. But when he wanted to do something extra, which was teach, he did it on Friday nights because then he didn't have to worry about if he needed to go back to the law firm for something. He had all weekend to do it.

MARTIN: But, you know, when you say he was free to work as much as he wanted to work, you know, I would wonder whether he would agree with your language there. Would you say he was free to work as much as he wanted to, or did he have to work as much as he had to?...