Monday, February 11, 2013

Challenged Children aren't about performance, they are about loving their ability.

My youngest son, from a very tender age, was found to be challenged. He had a older brother that was his best friend and vise versa. But, when brother came into his high school years and went to a private school he had talked about since he was 11 years old; my youngest was stranded. His behavior became estranged from what was conducive to normal and it was recommended we see a local psychologist. 

We did. At first he didn't want to go so the psychologist recommended I come anyway. It was a day when we were both home and he was home from school. I left the house and left him inside while I went to his appointment with the psychologist. I talked to the psychologist about my sons, but, primarily my youngest. 

The next week it was same scenario and I went to the psychologist's office alone. The third week I told my son it was time for his appointment and he gathered himself emotionally (a then seventh grader) and he got in the car. I thanked him for coming and told him I didn't like going by myself. When we got to the psychologist's office he thanked my son for coming and asked in my presence in the waiting room (we were the only ones there at that point) why he came? My son stated, "Well, I figured if you were going to talk about me I might as well know what you are saying."

It was recommended my youngest son see a psychiatrist to have medication assigned to him. He agreed to go. He felt important. Before we went to this very important appointment we shopped for trendy clothing and items he thought were important. His esteem was never better and he looked forward to his life. He was given a prescription and went home.

For three years, my youngest son and I visited the psychiatrist every three months for medication adjustment and we saw the psychologist weekly. Every week the two would talk about the week before and a strategy for the week coming. I was in the waiting room most of the time. They dodged all the terrible issues of being different with ease and became partners in a life strategy. That went on for three years. At the end of his freshman year in high school he graduated from his weekly visits.

When he became sixteen he decided he didn't want his medication anymore. i agreed to try and low and behold he had grown into a life strategy that worked for him. During those three years I never worried about him. He was a good boy, a good student and a great son. He is still the sweetheart today he was then and I have always had peace of mind.

The dangers of prescriptions are there for everyone. It doesn't matter if a person is diagnosed properly or not. The chemical brain balance is the issue. We know there are problems with suicide ideation with these medications. We know they can be addictive. My experience was successful, but, I had an experienced professional that understood quality of life meeting with my son every week. It was a magnificent experience and my son is fine. I do not believe handing out medication without proper supervision is the answer.

A child can't monitor their own lives. They have parents, albeit stressed, but if the parents need help to 'handle it' then get separate counseling. But, if a child is on medication for their education and behavior problems that needs to be met with a psychologist moral enough to call it as they see it.

I balanced the gender issue, too. My son's weekly visit was a man and the psychiatrist (who spent 40 minutes with him at every visit) was a woman. I thought it was a good balance and he is very functional today.