Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Consider this in regard to ethanol.

"King Corn" (click title to entry - thank you) is a documentary made about corn production in the USA and how it penetrated the USA human diet.  It is still an important documentary.


One of the silliest commercials I have ever witnessed are the ones stating "High Fructose Corn Syrup is the same as Sugar for your body's metabolism."


That was always the point of health advocates.  They wanted to have consumers educated to the fact sugar comes in many forms.


In those commercials the point is lost by those seeking to dilute the reality of what is bad for you can come in many forms.  The point about high fructose corn syrup was made by most health advocates that it is no different than sugar and therefore don't consider it any differently when reading ingredients on a food container.  I find that commercial not only silly but offensive because the advertiser actually believes they can CON the American consumer to think that health advocates are evil people trying to deceive them.  The opposition to 'what is good for America' are nothing short but ruthless.


That aside, consider where corn will go when there is far less used in the American diet.  High Fructose Corn Syrup will never disappear, no different than OREOs will never disappear, but, with a USA centered on healthier living there will be far less demand for corn as a food source for people.


E85 as a flex fuel is a far better alternative in the immediate future.  However, I jumped for joy, when I watched the first major commercial for the Chevy Volt.  Electric cars are by far the safest form of transportation for the American Family today and in the future.


In the USA there is very little use of E85 and that is unfortunate.  What is found throughout the country are E10 or E20.  When I run across those options I find I get far better gas mileage and it is consistent.  If I purchase E10, I get 10% higher mileage per gallon, if I purchase E20 I get 20% better gas mileage.  The ethanol is known to provide better performance and it does.  So, while the cost may be about the same as regular gasoline, it provides better performance.  


I strongly believe in electric passenger vehicles, but, the infrastructure for fueling has to be available in places other than a person's garage.  It limits the MARKET SHARE of the product.