Wednesday, July 27, 2011

At the beginning of the calender year (12/28/10 map) the majority of this map (91.14 percent) was considered 'abnormally dry.'




I'll tell you want bothers me more than anything else.  The area is now profoundly in the state of drought.  One year ago the same area, that was one year ago this week 74.23 percent exhibited no drought what so ever at all.


Drought is a strange thing.  By definition it is a lack of rain and water.  But, in physics of the Earth, it is a long process.  It takes a lot to dry out an entire area until the soil cracks and is unproductive.  The 'heat wave' that, or I guess everyone was calling it a "Heat Bubble," spread to nearly the entire Midwest and East of the USA. The physics of Earth always, in my observations, gives a hint to the future by observing the present.  What often seems like an anomaly in 'passing' weather, not climate but weather, is a foretelling of the future.


This season I posted an increase in the depth of the drought and the reach of the drought.  It is my estimation that where the 'bubble' made itself known to the citizens of the USA is a foreshadowing of what is to come in the years ahead.


If I could wave a magic wand and Homeland Preparedness included tracking drought and its potential for future emergencies for the water supply of the country I would have done it this year, because, I sincerely believe we are going to see worsening drought in the next decade.  We witnessed a dry Lake Lanier.  It is a threat to reservoirs.  I don't believe I should morally withhold these concerns either.




Since the 'Heat Bubble' the 'abnormally dry' drought conditions extend into New Jersey, Western New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois and Indiana where the severe heat reached its northern boundary.