There were 17 fatalities due to tornadoes in the USA in 2016. But, in 2017 there have been 27 fatalities due to tornadoes in the USA and we haven't even gotten through four months yet. (click here)
On January 12, 2010, a 7.0 magnitude earthquake devastates Haiti, killing more than 230,000 and destroying the nation's infrastructure.
- On January 27, 2010, Apple Computer unveils the iPad tablet computer.
- In February 2010, a series of winter storms labeled "Snowmageddon" by President Obama blankets the east coast of the United States with up to 40 inches of snow in less than 1 week.
- British Petroleum's "Deepwater Horizon" offshore oil platform explodes on April 20, 2010, killing 11 workers. The ensuing oil leak would not be capped until July 15.
- On August 31, 2010, President Obama formally declares an end to combat operations in Iraq.
- On October 4, 2010, Robert G. Edwards is awarded the 2010 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for the development of in vitro fertilization.
- Time Magazine announces Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is its 2010 Person of the Year.
- U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords and 17 others are shot by a gunman during a "Congress on Your Corner" event held on January 8, 2011, in Tucson, AZ.
- A 9.0 magnitude earthquake strikes Japan on March 11, 2011. The quake and subsequent tsunami devastate the Oshika Peninsula of Tohoku.
- On May 2, 2011, U.S. Navy Seals raid a residence in Abbottabad, Pakistan, killing the United State's most wanted terrorist—Osama Bin Laden.
- The launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134) on May 16, 2011, marks its last mission to space and the second to last shuttle mission before the end of the space shuttle program.
- After 25 seasons and more than 5,000 episodes, "The Oprah Winfrey Show" airs its last original episode on May 25, 2011.
- The American flag still has 50 stars and we are out of Iraq!