It is looking good. Everyone has the same goals and there is cooperation.
February 22, 2017
By Jonathan Oosting
...Congress approved the funding amount last year (click here) in response
to the Flint water contamination crisis. But the federal Environmental
Protection Agency must still review the “intended use plan,” which
includes a $20 million match already appropriated by the state.
The formal funding request, submitted by the state on Feb. 17, is similar to the plan Flint Mayor Karen Weaver proposed last month, although wording was changed in some instances to fit federal categories and ensure chances for approval.
city officials are glad the process is moving along and we’re one step
closer to securing the funding that is crucial to Flint’s recovery,”
said Weaver spokeswoman Kristin Moore.
The state would
administer the federal aid through the Drinking Water Revolving Fund,
providing money to the city in the form of loans it would fully forgive.
$120 million plan includes $58.5 million to improve the Flint water
treatment plan, with construction expected to begin in June, and $40
million to replace underground service lines throughout the city.
$10 million would be used for distribution system and transmission main
improvements, $10 million for water meter replacement and $1.5 million
for technical assistance provided to the city by the state....
Past the monies lining up, the bidding process is running into problems. I am sure if the city sets limits on the work payment amounts there would still be plenty of bids.
February 23, 2017
By Jiquanda Johnson
...There were two requests for proposals, (click here) one for the water line
replacement and another for restoration after the work is completed.
City officials say bids came in too high again, an obstacle Weaver's administration ran into during the second phase of the process when they put out a RFP for the project.
Flint Purchasing Manager Derrick Jones said the bids were too high
and didn't meet the financial guidelines required in the state's grant
for the project.
Jones and the city's chief financial officer, David Sabuda, said the city has to comply with grant and state requirements.
"State law says we can only spend X amount of dollars per parcel," Sabuda said. "It's right in the law and we will be audited."
Jones added that a memo was sent from program coordinator Michael McDaniel advising the city to reopen the bid process.
Representatives from Goyette Mechanical attended the committee
meeting to address the city's decision to reopen bids, saying that their
initial bid has been revealed and gives competitors an opportunity to
under bid their $4,200 per house submission.
Goyette was one of the companies chosen to work on the second and third phases of the Fast Start program....