Monday, July 11, 2016

I think confronting racism is unproductive at this point. I think police need better methodology to minor traffic violations.

July 12, 2016
By Juliet Eilperin

Almost exactly three years ago, (click here) US President Barack Obama stood in the White House briefing room and said that he didn't think it would be "particularly productive" for him to convene "a national conversation on race".
But in the wake of a recent series of high-profile, racially charged shootings across the country, the President this week found himself doing exactly that.
Obama spent today preparing to address the US at a memorial service tomorrow in Dallas for five slain police officers and meeting with experts and advocates at the White House aimed at bridging the divide the between law enforcement and communities of colour.
The President met for nearly two hours with leaders of five law enforcement groups, informing them that he considered the killing of the five Dallas police officers on Friday "a hate crime" and that he would work actively to serve as an intermediary between minority activists and police....

We have been pursuing the end to racism in the USA for at least the past ten years while President Obama was running for his nomination to the Democratic Party. We aren't even treading water on this issue. We are sinking.

Police work carries the idea that every traffic stop could be a larger violation once the car and it's occupants are searched. A minor traffic violation gives police permission to rummage through a car and its occupants. That has to stop. The police should be limited to ticketing the minor traffic violation and nothing more. When that is the STANDARD, the dash cam can capture a minor traffic violation to be fined through US Mail services.

It is necessary to end the violence of traffic stops we have witnessed sweeping the country. The methodology itself is deadly. The methodology brings too much anticipation of confrontation and confrontation with deadly force. This has to stop. There are innocent people dying. That should be an alarm to the profession and changes should be engaged.

I think the police over reach their authority when seeking reasons for search and seizure of innocent people stopped for a traffic violation. 

Last week I was pulled over for a tail light that was out. I didn't know why the officer stopped me until he explained why. He gave me no reason to be upset, but, I found my hands trembling and at one point I handed him my voter registration card.

The officer gave me a warning and I thanked him. I had no idea the tail light was out. I could not believe my reaction to his actions. Subconsciously I was scared to death. The fear of the minor traffic stop had never raised sincere fear in me before, but, it did that day and I am Caucasian. I just identify with people that are victims to law enforcement. 

Deaths due to minor traffic violations has to end. Dash cams can capture the violation and the US postal service can deliver the summons to appear in court. 

It seems to me more often than not the law enforcement agencies are reaching for evidence of crime in inappropriate places, such as selling CDs and Lucys. These minor traffic violations are another example of that. They won't find drug cartel bosses riding in a car with a child in the back seat while having the trunk packed with money and drugs. There is no drug cartel member selling Lucys at the corner Mini-Mart. There is no drug cartel activities saved to CDs sold on the corner of Main Street and Vine.

The law enforcement 'at the street level' is hideous. I don't want to hear about the awesome finds police made while making a minor traffic stop. That is few and far between and American lives are more important. 

End the practice of minor traffic violation now. It stops!