Saturday, March 12, 2016

"...in two years I'm going to be off on my own..." Empowerment needed to teen girls.

March 13, 2016
By Cosima Marriner

In her final year of school, (click here) Ruby Leonard is trying to keep everyone around her happy: parents, teachers, coaches, friends, and her body that wants some sleep.
"For me right now, the hardest thing is finding a balance between academics, co-curriculars, friends, sleep," the 17-year-old said.
"Being a teenager comes with a lot more independence, responsibility and pressure ... There are a lot of expectations and roles one's expected to play that often clash and so, for me, those different roles are my beams and I'm trying to find the balance."...

Give them space, legitimacy and continue involvement as a parent. They are growing up and not growing apart from their family.

Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook